UPDATE: Isn’t it funny how things work their way along sometimes?
Here’s a few things that you might not know:
- Rice is not the #1 food crop in the world; that would be corn. Rice is second and wheat comes in third.
- The planet produced 817,000,000 tonnes of corn in 2009.
- Maize (aka corn) is Africa’s most important staple food.
- North America is the world’s largest producer of corn, producing about half the worldwide yield.
- 40% of North America’s corn production gets made into biofuel to satisfy the yuppie need for a masturbatory sense of enviro-self-satisfaction.
- The price of corn has more than doubled in the last year.